Call for Applications: Society for Public Health Education Graduate Student Research Paper Award
Deadline for Application: December 13, 2013
The Society for Public Health Education is accepting applications for its annual award for graduate research in health education and health promotion. The purpose of this award is to foster quality graduate student research and provide a mechanism by which to recognize outstanding graduate students for creative and innovative research. The recipient of this award is encouraged to submit the paper for review to one of SOPHE’s two journals, Health Education and Behavior or Health Promotion Practice. The winning paper will be recognized as follows:
• $250 cash award
• Award certificate
• Complimentary registration at the upcoming SOPHE Annual Meeting
• Presentation at the SOPHE Annual Meeting (student is responsible for travel expenses) of the research upon which the award is based
• Recognition of the award in SOPHE’s newsletter, News & Views and website.
ELIGIBILITY AND REQUIREMENTS
1. Academic Requirements: Students enrolled in a graduate degree program in health education within two years of the submission deadline are eligible for this award.
2. National SOPHE Membership or chapter SOPHE member at time of application (visit http://www.sophe.org to join).
3. The research must be submitted for consideration of publication in the form of a manuscript suitable for publication in either Health Education & Behavior (http://www.sophe.org/Health_Education.cfm) or Health Promotion Practice (http://www.sophe.org/Health_Promotion_Practice.cfm) Publication guidelines are included in each journal issue and online.
4. Faculty Sponsorship Form from the student’s faculty advisor, who must be a SOPHE member in good standing. The form must verify:
a. The student is following a course of study in health education or has completed degree requirements within the past two years
b. The submitted paper represents the student’s original work
c. The research was conducted in accordance with the Code of Ethics of the Health Education Profession, Article V: Responsibility in Research and Evaluation.
5. Applicants must indicate their willingness to present the paper at the SOPHE Annual Meeting (student is responsible for travel expenses).
Papers will be reviewed by the SOPHE Awards Committee for their scientific rigor and contribution to health education research and practice. Specific criteria include:
• Problem: Importance of the research question
• Ideas: Theoretical base and conceptual contribution
• Approach: Adequacy and sensitivity of research design and methods, and adherence to ethical standards including demonstration of Institutional Review Board approval
• Findings: Contribution to existing knowledge
• Presentation of data: Clear presentation of quantitative or qualitative data linked to the research objectives and research problem
• Organization: Logical organization of the manuscript
• Contribution to health education research
• Contribution to health education
Note that winners are not automatically published. Award recipients must submit their manuscript to the Editorial Boards of the journals for review.
• Application materials must be received by the SOPHE office on the due date. Application materials must be must be assembled by the applicant and delivered as a single submission.
Materials may be mailed or faxed:
Society for Public Health Education (SOPHE)
10 G Street, N.E, Suite 605
Washington, DC 20002
Questions: Celena NuQuay email@example.com
Awards are recommended by the SOPHE Awards Committee and approved by the Executive Committee.