Call for Papers for a Special Issue of Landscape Research: Landscape and Health
This special issue aims to explore topics related to the relationship between landscape and human health. Whilst this subject has dominated public health and green space research agendas recently, less attention has been paid to the relationship between health and the wider landscape, health and particular landscape characteristics, the health impacts of specific approaches to landscape planning, design and management and especially to andscape-related health issues in the global south. This Special Issue aims
to address this imbalance, examining landscapes and human health from multi and inter-disciplinary perspectives including science, social science and the arts and humanities. We are interested in a wide range of approaches to evidencing and exploring the links between health and landscape, embracing both quantitative and qualitative empirical research, as well as original theoretical contributions, literature reviews and papers dealing with as yet unexplored aspects of the health-landscape connection. Health is interpreted broadly to embrace all aspects of the WHO definition – “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”. We are interested in a broad range of different topics and approaches to the landscape/health nexus including:
• Papers contributing fresh insights into historic landscapes or landscape practices that have been associated with health and well-being
• Physical and mental health benefits/disbenefits of exposure to different landscapes and their relevant characteristics
• Trialling therapeutic and public health landscape interventions
• Healing and sensory gardens, retreats and health-care landscapes – their characteristics and effects
• Global or local health impacts of landscape on particular populations
• Hidden health impacts of particular landscapes e.g. obesogenic environments
• Health impacts of climate change as it affects the landscape and landscape planning/design management to mitigate such impacts
Research-based articles are invited from across the globe that address aspects of this theme and that will be of interest to our readers, so there must be a clear emphasis on the discussion of landscape issues.
Landscape Research is an international cross-disciplinary peer-review journal. Submitted papers should be between 3,000-7,000 words in length and may be constructed as standard research papers, review papers, viewpoints or think pieces. Short, concise and punchy papers based on robust research are particularly welcomed.
The deadline for first submissions is 30 June 2014.
If you would like to submit, please contact the journal in the first instance with your suggested abstract before 1 December 2013. Provisional publication date for the special issue is Summer 2015.
Send abstracts and enquiries to: